Essential Skincare Tips for the College StudentWhether you’re heading off for your first semester in college or getting ready to wrap up your degree, now is the perfect time to give your skin a little extra love.
While we’ve already covered tons of tips on our blog about witch hazel uses, we thought you might love a little bit of extra credit, specifically tailored to living the student lifestyle.
Here are a few of our favorite clear skin tips to help get you through all the ups and downs of the semester.
1. Start a Skincare Routine in CollegeThe most important part of keeping your skin clear is to create a routine if you don’t already have one. As you start to get more in tune with your schedule and build good habits, adding things like washing your face, removing makeup and using a moisturizer are important to boosting your complexion.
The best time of day for skincare? The moment you wake up and right before bed. These seem easy enough to remember to add into your daily routine, which is why a lot of students opt for those two times in the day.
2. Learn How to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Your EyesLet’s be honest. There will be times when you stay up too late cramming for a test or grabbing pizza with friends. That’s just part of the whole experience.
But getting ready for that 8 AM the next morning doesn’t mean you have to stumble in looking like a hot mess. Learning how to get rid of dark circles under your eyes can leave you feeling fresh, rejuvenated and confident.
An easy method? Keep a bottle of our Thayers Cucumber Facial Toner in your dorm fridge. Pour the cold liquid on a cotton ball and dab under your eyes to help reduce swelling and soothe skin. Not only does it feel great, but it is also an excellent quick fix for when you’re in a hurry.
3. Ensure You’re Getting Enough WaterWe get it. Campus is super busy when you’re constantly on the go between class, hanging out with friends and just trying to keep everything organized. However, one of the easiest ways to enjoy better skin and prevent acne in college is by drinking enough water. And no, that latte from the campus coffee shop doesn’t count! We’re talking old-fashioned H2O.
The more hydrated you keep your body, the better you’ll be able to combat common woes like dry skin and blemishes. In turn, this allows your beauty products to work better, too.
Plus, hydration is super helpful for keeping your mental focus and clarity – two things you’ll need to ace all those study sessions.
4. Choose Products That Are PortableSharing a dorm or apartment bathroom can be a major adjustment for many first-time students. Space is usually a premium, which means you have to be super choosy about what items you bring with you when it is time to focus on your skincare routine.
The good news? Thayers Witch Hazel Facial Toners and other products come in convenient packages to make it simple to grab and go. We even have towelettes that are perfect for throwing in a gym bag or backpack for use when you need a little refresh. AND, because we know how important it is to give back to the earth, our wipes are biodegradable and the canister is recyclable. That way, we all can do our part in being environmentally friendly.
After all, we get that you’re much more likely to use a product if it is convenient, and we’re always working on new options to make that happen.
5. Take Time Out to Reduce StressOne of the biggest catalysts for acne and blemishes is a change in stress. While we don’t expect anyone to get through college life without feeling a little overwhelmed at times, there are certain things you can do to help reduce the effect on your complexion.
For example, make sure you’re getting enough sleep at night. And try to hit the student workout or exercise center occasionally.
Pro tip: Thayers Witch Hazel Facial Mists come in travel sizes that are great for keeping in a gym bag. After a sweat session, just spritz a little on to help refresh your skin.
6. Wash Your Cell Phone and Face Mask RegularlyIf you find yourself experiencing more blemishes than normal, it might be time to do a little disinfecting. Your cell phone can naturally be a breeding ground for germs, especially if you consider all of the various things you touch on campus throughout the day. That’s why disinfecting them is super important.
And, now that many campuses require face masks for students, you’ll want to wash yours often. Makeup, sweat and oils from your skin make the fabric the perfect place for bacteria. Not able to do laundry each day? Have several masks on hand to ensure you’re always wearing a clean one until you can get to the laundromat. We’ve even created a collection that’s perfect for the times you do have breakouts. The Blemish Clearing Collection features a cleanser, toner, pads and balm that will leave your skin feeling nourished, treat existing acne and prevent new acne from forming.
Conclusion: How to Have a Clear Face in CollegeKeeping your complexion clear through the ups and downs of college life means having a dedicated skincare ritual. It also requires taking care of your body, reducing stress and making sure you’re doing little things like sticking to your routine and taking a break every once in a while.
Not sure where to find our Thayers products near your campus? We’re available both online at our website and in-store at Target, Ulta, and Amazon, to name a few. Find your new favorite witch hazel toner today.